Although I eat meat, I sometimes have days where I can’t bear to eat it and I want something vegetarian that is just as filling as meat. I only started cooking with quinoa quite recently and I have realised that as long as you pack loads of flavour into it, it is rather delicious. These quinoa stuffed courgettes are one of my favourite summer meals served with a side salad. They are light, fresh and super healthy.
Ingredients (serves 5)
250g cooked quinoa
1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
1/2 cup olives, chopped
1 red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
2 tsp parsley
1/2 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut the courgettes lengthways and scoop out the middle section of them with a teaspoon so that you are left with enough space to put the stuffing in.
- Preheat oven 180°C/Fan 160°C/gas 4. Line a baking tray with baking paper and arrange the courgettes on to it. Drizzle with a little oil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Fry the diced onion until a light caramel colour. Add chopped cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, herbs and lemon juice.
- Add cooked quinoa and season with salt and pepper. Fry the ingredients on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the quinoa mixture into the courgettes. Press the stuffing down a little to pile more on top.
- Grate parmesan cheese over the courgettes and bake for a further 10 minutes.